(Senior) Product Designer
Substantial is searching for a senior-level digital product designer to join our growing design team. As a Senior Designer you'll demonstrate strong UI/UX & visual skills, interface with clients, and represent design on a cross-disciplinary product team for clients ranging in size from private to public, non-profit to start-up, small business to enterprise.
We’re open to candidates not based in Seattle (within three hours of the Pacific time zone is preferred), and will support remote work even when there isn’t a global pandemic, provided you’re able to travel on occasion.
In your day-to-day you will:
- Act as a strategic individual contributor on cross-disciplinary teams, contributing to - and at times leading- the full design process from concept development to wireframes and high-fidelity specs
- Collaborate directly with designers, developers, engagement managers, and clients
- Holistically evaluate a product experience, from high level strategy to the specific interaction details
- Exercise authority in determining short and long term design needs, objectives, and approaches
- Set quality standards, aligned with a deep understanding of the client’s goals, business requirements and constraints, for qualitative foundational & evaluative research, insight articulation, experience model development (e.g., customer journeys, behavioral archetypes, service blueprints, etc.), design and testing
- Balance time between directly working on design and supervising / maintaining the quality of work from other contributors on your team
What you bring:
- Experience building new products and driving execution
- Ability to align colleagues and clients on product goals, leading teams to achieve the highest level of performance without compromising timelines and team harmony
- Familiarity working in a fast-paced, deeply collaborative, agile environment
- Contributions to the creation of meaningful customer/user feedback loops through build, test, and learn cycles
- Prior experience designing and managing user research and usability testing as well as the ability to understand, analyze and apply first-hand or second-hand research to product decisions
- Product experience that includes leading and contributing to prioritization of MVP features, building a backlog, and creating strategic product roadmaps
- Preferred Qualifications:
- 5+ years of professional experience
- Proven experience leading projects working independently in various design roles
- Experience in a client services or agency environment
- Experience or familiarity solving problems across multiple technology platforms (eg. browsers, applications, operating systems, mobile and connected devices, other hardware)
- Experience directly collaborating with development teams using modern development practices
- Proficiency with the Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch, and prototyping tools
- Strong written & verbal communication, client services, and interpersonal skills
- An online portfolio or samples of work demonstrating experience creating intuitive end-to-end, user-centered design solutions and patterns, across desktop and mobile devices
We offer a comprehensive set of benefits designed to help you do your best work and support your life in & out of the office.
- Profit-sharing Benefit
- Generous PTO policy
- Education Benefit
- Commuter Benefits
- Flexible Working
- A Happy (Currently Virtual) Workplace
Founded in 2006 in Seattle, Substantial is a digital innovation and build studio located on Seattle’s Capitol Hill. We believe technologists are in an unprecedented position to innovate in service of a more equitable future. We collaborate with our clients as strategic innovation partners to create thoughtful digital products from concept to launch.
People of Color, LGBTQ+ individuals, women and members of historically marginalized populations encouraged to apply.
Substantial strives to be a diverse, inclusive and anti-racist workplace. We value diverse perspectives on our product teams and welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds and walks of life. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, disability, physical appearance, age or national origin. Racism, misogyny, homophobia, transphobia, or any other form of bigotry have no place here.