Digital Communications Associate
The Voting Rights Lab seeks a Digital Communications Associate to work with the Director of Communications, along with other members of the team, to manage the organization's growing online presence, including website maintenance, digital marketing, list management, and social media. This is an exciting opportunity for a self-driven individual with a passion for growing and maintaining a brand voice across various channels and platforms.
Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Manage the Voting Rights Lab’s website via WordPress: Add and update approved blog content, identify opportunities to increase traffic, collaborate with development vendors, and use site analytics to achieve goals and implement optimizations
- Manage, build, launch, and report back on our monthly newsletter, The Lever, as well as other email communications, to our list via MailChimp.
- Draft and produce compelling copy and content for all of VRL’s digital channels (website, email, social media) that reinforces our expertise and value-add to the voting rights sector. Often this will entail translating content from one medium into compelling copy for various other channels.
- Work collaboratively across the team to maintain brand, voice, and style consistency throughout VRL's digital communications efforts. The person in this role will frequently be asked to copy edit or proof public-facing products.
- Write and edit digital outreach content including materials for partner organizations such as social media toolkits.
- Plan and maintain an editorial calendar detailing digital communications and production plans that is coordinated with other organization-wide priorities and actions (emails, earned media, key moments in state campaigns, etc.).
- Create and drive plan for strategic list growth and segmentation, and maintain overall list health using Mailchimp or another CRM to ensure that we are thinking critically about which content goes to each segment of our list
- Oversee the day-to-day management of our existing social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn) including content discovery and adaptation for the different platforms. Grow social media account followings by engaging with relevant partners across channels.
- Provide occasional digital media support for VRL staff, coordinating with graphic design vendors or video editors when necessary.
- Contribute to our work by building simple landing pages using our advocacy toolset or Wordpress site or by running targeted Facebook ads to key audiences.
What we’re looking for in you:
- Approximately 2-4 years of relevant experience in digital communications work with a proven track record of executing high quality work in a fast-paced campaign-like environment (e.g. issue advocacy organization, digital consulting agency, political campaign)
- Proven ability to translate complex policy topics into succinct, compelling cross-channel copy that inspires diverse audiences to take action, learn more, or participate in VRL activities
- Experience managing multi-part editorial processes across teams or departments and doing so on a tight timeline
- Organized, resourceful, flexible individual with strong time management skills and an ability to work independently and on tight deadlines
- An exceptional attention to detail
- Experience working with diverse communities and committed to acting on the belief that racial equity and social justice are critical components of our work
- Experience using platforms like WordPress, Phone2Action, MailChimp, HubSpot, Photoshop, Facebook Ads Manager are desired but not required
- Beginner to intermediate graphic design or video editing skills are a plus, but not required
Compensation & Benefits:
The salary range for the Digital Communications Associate will be $64,000 - $75,000.
At this time, we provide the following benefits for eligible employees:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance that is 100% employer funded
- Access to NVF-funded health reimbursement account (HRA) to help offset co-pay, deductible, and vision/dental expenses
- 401(k) retirement plan, with up to 3% employer match
- Generous paid time off package, including 5 weeks vacation leave and 2 weeks personal leave, in addition to paid holidays and other PTO opportunities
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Base-term life and accidental death and dismemberment (ADD) insurance, with an employee buy-up option
- Flexible spending account for medical and dependent care
- Additional benefits including work from home benefits, cell phone benefits, and fitness benefits
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
Voting Rights Lab is a project of New Venture Fund (NVF), a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. NVF is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. NVF’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
Part of VRL's mission is to ensure that people with records of arrest or conviction can vote. As such, we give full and fair consideration to all applicants, regardless of a past record of arrest or conviction.
New Venture Fund (NVF) has extended its work-from-home and essential travel requirements through July 31, 2021. All employees must continue to work from home, and work travel remains restricted to essential, pre-approved travel only. In considering this extension, our main priority remained and will continue to be the safety of all employees. We want to ensure that you are able to impact the world in a meaningful way while staying healthy and well. NVF has also provided COVID-19 leave which staff can request to manage any COVID-19-related needs such as if they or a household member is sick, if they are unable to find childcare, and other needs.
This is a completely remote position. Candidates across the country are encouraged to apply.