Job Title: Fundraising Fellow
Company: EarthEnable, Incorporated
Reports to: Executive Associate
Location: Kigali, Rwanda, with time spent traveling to rural areas
Timeframe: 12 - 18 month Fellowship
Salary: USD 800 - 1,000/month gross (USD 550 - 650/month net)
Who We Are
At EarthEnable, we believe that our clients deserve our very best, that morning high-fives are the best way to start the day, and that the best ideas can come from any part of the company. We celebrate each other’s wins, learn from our setbacks, and are deeply proud of the impact we make every day. We believe that a clean, dust-free floor means more than living in a healthy home. It means pride and dignity in the place our customers treasure most: their homes. Being a part of our team means more than building floors: it means building an organization and building a better future for rural families.
What We Do
EarthEnable is transforming the way people live, by making homes healthier for families across rural Rwanda and Uganda. 70% of Rwandans and Ugandans live in homes with dirt floors which are dusty, unsanitary, and fertile breeding grounds for parasites and germs. While replacing a dirt floor with concrete has significant health benefits (e.g. reducing diarrhea by 50% and parasitic infections by 80%), concrete is unaffordable for many who need it.
EarthEnable addresses this pressing and ubiquitous problem by selling high-quality, earthen floors that are 75% cheaper than concrete with 90% less embedded energy. Earthen floors are prevalent in modern homes in the United States and are composed of natural materials (gravel, clay, sand, and laterite). EarthEnable trains and hires local masons to install the floors which are sealed using a proprietary drying oil that makes them waterproof, strong, and polished.
About the Role
EarthEnable’s Fundraising Fellow will get a chance to fundraise alongside the CEO to help EarthEnable shape the future of rural housing and health. He or she will compose grant applications, advise and support the Executive team and CEO in developing a fundraising strategy, develop and execute fundraising campaigns, liaise with internal and external stakeholders, report outcomes to donors, and upskill other employees in grant writing and reporting. The successful candidate will be an ambitious, hard-working, and passionate individual who possesses a strong sense of social mission, thrives in a fast-paced, start-up environment, excels at working autonomously, and demonstrates an unparalleled ability to multi-task while being detail-oriented. Specific responsibilities of the role will include:
Development and Fundraising:
- Continuously exploring and evaluating the funding landscape, especially by conducting online research to find grant opportunities
- Opportunistically applying for funding opportunities including writing proposals and budgets
- Frequently visiting the field operations to accurately and effectively communicate our impact
- Developing relationships with potential partner institutions and leveraging them into institutional sales
- Reaching out to potential donors to set up phone calls or meetings and having initial conversations on funding
- Working closely with finance to ensure current restricted and unrestricted grants are managed properly
- Managing a cadence of personalized donor communication
- Managing grant reporting including financial reports
- Ensuring seamless potential and existing donor visits
- Upskill other employees or new hires to conduct fundraising, grant writing, and general writing
- Ensuring that the Board of Directors, funders, and other key stakeholders get frequent updates about wins and worries, along with dashboards of key metrics
- Helping to manage corporate marketing (social media, newsletters, website, annual report, etc.)
- Supporting and training Executive Assistant in administrative tasks such as CEO scheduling, email management, event planning, flight bookings, etc.
- Assisting on special projects to improve the organization, efficiency, and fundraising potential of the company as needed
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Demonstrated experience with writing
- Strong research skills
- Work experience, especially experience working in development, soliciting donations from funders and grant management, is highly desired
- Experience with financial reporting, budgeting, Salesforce, and/or Excel would be an added advantage
- Comfort and confidence to approach new donors and solicit support
- Learns on the go, doing important, higher-level work from the start
- Desire to live and work in East Africa; experience living and working in a developing country strongly preferred
- Detail-oriented and able to multitask
- Positive attitude, self-starter, entrepreneurial spirit, sense of humor, and willingness to learn new things
- Commitment to excellence and outstanding work ethic
- Resourcefulness and creative problem solving
- Strong alignment with EarthEnable’s values:
- Take pride in our impact on health. Work passionately to change the way people live.
- Set the bar for customer care. Exceed their expectations every step of the way.
- Work hard and work together to achieve our most ambitious goals and dreams.
- Be resourceful and responsible with money; our impact depends on it.
- Treat everyone with fairness, empathy, and concern with which we expect to be treated.
- Trust each other to have the humility to support and the vulnerability to be supported.