Director of Human Resources, Finance, and Administration
Director of Human Resources, Finance, & Administration
Oversee the team that keeps GFI’s mission humming along
The Good Food Institute (GFI) is at the forefront of the movement to use food technology and markets to solve some of the world’s biggest problems, from climate change and global hunger to antibiotic resistance and the exploitation of animals.
How You Will Make a Difference
In this role, you will serve on GFI’s Leadership Team and will ensure that all facets of GFI’s administrative functions are working to help GFI achieve its mission. The Director of Human Resources, Finance, & Administration will be responsible for:
- Overseeing a remote team of at least nine employees in the administrative, finance, human resources, information technology, and legal teams at GFI (collectively referred to as the Collaborative Assistance Team).
- Ensuring strong financing oversight, including budgeting, financial management and control systems, banking and expense reimbursement, investment administration, funding of affiliate entities, consolidation of affiliate financials from five regions, foreign exchange risk mitigation, and annual financial audit.
- Ensuring that GFI’s workforce is diverse and that employees feel included and have a sense of belonging resulting in high levels of employee engagement; coordinating and developing action plans based on the annual employee engagement survey.
- Developing and implementing plans related to recruitment, performance management, benefits administration, compensation, and professional development.
- Overseeing payroll for a multi-state employer and GFI’s HRIS (ADP).
- Supporting GFI’s Board of Directors and serving as the secretary and treasurer of the board.
- Developing policies and procedures related to the various administrative functions of the organization.
- Providing IT support to GFI US and its five international affiliates.
- Ensuring effective risk management and managing GFI’s insurance portfolio.
- Managing the contractual relationship with GFI’s five international affiliates, including coordinating administrative functions globally, where applicable.
- Ensuring that GFI complies with all laws and regulations, including compliance with nonprofit laws and regulations, multi-state employer, finance and accounting standards, and data privacy.
- Dependent on experience, either supervising a legal team or providing legal advice for a progressive nonprofit through review of contacts, NDAs, grant proposals and other legal documents.
- Training and advising employees and supervisors on a variety of topics (e.g., effective strategies for providing feedback, lobbying reporting requirements, supervisory strategies, and DEI best practices).
- Coordinating nonprofit compliance including state charitable registrations in all US states.
- Staying abreast of changes in federal and state laws impacting employment, benefit, and other organizational and compliance regulations.
- Collaborating with the Leadership Team and CAT to coordinate GFI’s annual all-staff retreat.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
Who We’re Looking For
The Director of Human Resources, Finance, & Administration must have:
- A minimum of 10 years of experience working in administrative roles. Strong experience in all facets of Human Resources and Finance required, experience in Legal and IT preferred.
- Experience supervising mid-sized teams; proven leadership and supervisory skills.
- CPA or law degree is preferred but not required.
- The skills to cultivate an environment of professionalism, customer service, efficiency, responsiveness, and creative problem solving
- Proficiency with QuickBooks Online, ADP, and Google Drive. Familiarity with Salesforce, Asana, Greenhouse, CultureAmp a plus.
- Enthusiasm to oversee and implement DEI best practices.
- Strong ethics and the ability to pass a background check.
- Comfort working remotely and in a rapidly growing and evolving organization.
- Strong support for GFI’s philosophy and mission; demonstrated interest in public health, environmentalism, animal protection, or hunger relief.
We want the best people and we don’t want biases holding us back. We strongly encourage people of every color, orientation, age, gender, origin, and ability to apply. Because we value a diverse workplace, we prioritize an inclusive climate absent of discrimination and harassment during the application process and after you join the team.
The Fine Print
- Terms of employment: Full-time, exempt
- Reports to: Bruce Friedrich, Executive Director
- Location: Remote; United States
- Travel: Up to two weeks per year for company retreats.
- Benefits: Working from home, full medical coverage, optional dental and vision packages, a 401(k) plan with employer match, flexible holiday and vacation plans, opportunity for advancement, respectful managers, and supportive colleagues.
- This is a U.S.-based position: In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
- Salary: $95,000-$115,000