Email & SMS Associate
The Email and SMS Associate is one of three main content creators for our non-fundraising email and SMS (text messaging) program. They write, produce and proof emails and text messages, collaborating with others across the organization to craft clear and comprehensive content to keep our online following active and engaged, and to assess the success of that work.
In addition to your cover letter and resume, please submit a writing sample where you persuade someone to take an action. Good examples might be a social media post trying to get your friends to register to vote, an email you wrote raising money for a cause you care about, a letter to the editor, or a message to family or friends trying to get them on board with an event you want to host. Academic writing is generally not super helpful for us to read.
This position is full-time, with a salary starting at $48,000, commensurate with experience. To uphold organizational parity and pay equity, we use a non-negotiable salary system that takes into consideration the entire breadth of a candidate’s experience, employment, and education to arrive at their final starting base salary. In addition, Indivisible provides a robust benefits package including full medical/dental/vision/life coverage, a professional development stipend, and an employer matched 401(k) plan.
To be considered, please submit your cover letter, resume and writing sample by Wednesday, May 5, 2021.
- Email and SMS Writing (40%):
- Draft compelling email and SMS content that engages Indivisible groups and the broader Indivisible volunteer audience; educates them about issues and priorities, deepens their commitment to the movement, and invites them to take further action;
- The associate should expect to draft 2-3 full-list, longform emails and 1-2 targeted or full-list SMS per week.
- Conduct Quality Assurance (proofreading and testing) on content created by other members of the digital team.
- Email and SMS Implementation (40%):
- Stage, target and send content in our email (ActionKit) and SMS (Mobile Commons) CRMs;
- Set up calls to action and mConnects in Mobile Commons;
- Create opt-in pathways for our SMS program.
- Digital Strategy (20%)
- Learn to analyze email and SMS results and put your analysis into practice for upcoming messages.
- Collaborate with other members of the digital team to learn how to develop strategic content calendars and balance sometimes-competing goals (for example, fundraising and mobilization.)
- Attend and contribute to cross-department meetings, and bring information back to the wider team for use in email and SMS content.
- Good attention to detail and solid proofreading skills.
- Persuasive writing. You should know how to construct an argument and persuade someone to do what you’d like them to in writing.
- Comfort with numbers. You don’t need to be a math whiz, but you should be interested in learning about email and SMS results metrics, like how many people open or unsubscribe from a message.
- Commitment to learning and personal growth, and to putting principles of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion into action in the workplace.
- Comfort with quickly changing priorities: our work is responsive to the news environment and plans often shift on short notice.
- Interest in advancing democracy reform specifically in addition to other progressive policies.
- Experience with HTML and CSS (you don’t need to be an expert, but knowing what or means will be helpful.)
- Experience with SQL or other data-querying languages.
- Understanding of the basics of statistics (half-remember statistical significance from 11th grade math class? That’s what we’re looking for.)
About the Indivisible Project
We’re building something new. We’re a progressive grassroots organization that began in the aftermath of Trump’s election and rapidly scaled nationwide, with thousands of volunteer-led local groups covering every state in the country. To support this movement, we’ve built an incredible team at the national level. We dream big, we support each other, and we have fun doing it.
We’re changing what’s politically possible. Indivisible is part of the powerful progressive movement reaction to Trump, fighting the racist, misogynistic, plutocratic, and authoritarian agenda trumpeted by Trump and the GOP congress. Don’t take our word for it; Indivisible has been featured on theshow , as well as in the and in pretty much every other major news outlet in the country.
We’re building together. We’re building a new organization every day - a rare opportunity to model what we want to see in the world. We’re deeply committed to equity and building a diverse and inclusive organization.
We’re looking for you. If you want to fight for the soul of American democracy, there’s no better place to be than Indivisible. We’re looking for more team members who are passionate about resisting the Trump agenda and committed to getting results. It’s an exciting, fulfilling place if you’re someone who wants to fight fiercely for the progressive world we want to have.
Every one of us on the national team is here because we believe this movement is the best way to retake and build progressive power in this country. Does that ring true for you? If so, great - throw your hat in the ring to join our team. Let’s start #winning together.
Indivisible Project is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition. Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.