Inside Sales Representative
Position: Inside Sales Representative
Reports to: Head of Sales
Location: Remote, on-site (Chapel Hill, NC), or combination
Participate is a fast-growing social learning start-up based in Chapel Hill, NC. We help organizations build custom online communities for engaging and collaborative professional learning. At Participate, we believe that investing in educators means investing in safer, healthier and more equitable communities and societies. We come to work each day because we want to build more sustainable (and fun) ways to learn, and we put our core values into everything we do and every decision we make: create bold and meaningful solutions, work together for the greater good, grow from successes and failures and be kind.
We’re looking for a talented and passionate sales professional to join our growing sales and marketing team. As a key member of our organization, you’ll focus on developing and closing new business opportunities.
What you’ll do:
- Source new leads through creative prospecting tactics
- Qualify and develop and robust sales pipeline
- Schedule and conduct sales calls and demos to push prospects through the pipeline
- Collaborate with the team to develop regular strategic plans to meet monthly, quarterly and annual goals
- Provide relevant market research to the team in support of strategy development
- Maintain and update prospect records in our CMS, HubSpot to ensure accurate reports
- Communicate and identify areas in the sales process for improvement
- Develop, write and edit sales documents, including proposals and emails
This role is designed to support constant professional growth and exposure to new, exciting challenges. As a small team, we wear many hats and aren’t afraid to step out of our job descriptions if it means helping our team attain quality leads and close deals. In the first few months on the job, you’ll learn alongside a senior member of our team about the product and our consultative sales process. Once you’ve fully grown into your role, you’ll be negotiating and closing deals on your own.
You are a self-starter who values and is excited by continuous professional learning. You don’t wait for someone to teach you something new, you independently search for the knowledge and connections that will get you where you want to be.
You are a kind, dedicated team player. You genuinely enjoy being part of a collaborative team and helping team members and potential customers find creative solutions to their challenges. You realize that sales is about building authentic long-term relationships.
You are creative and tech savvy. You realize that program directors and company executives are flooded with cold emails so you are always looking for ways to stand out from the crowd. You are open to feedback within your team to improve processes and approaches to sales conversations. You’re comfortable with relying on sales technology and recommendations when following up with prospects.
You value quality over quantity. You have a keen attention to detail and believe that writing 10 well-researched, intentional emails is better than one-hundred cookie-cutter emails.
- Self-motivated, independent, quick learner who is comfortable with ambiguity and driven to solve problems
- Experience in inside sales and/or lead generation telesales preferred
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Effective time management skills and ability to work well under pressure
- Strong computer skills (Excel, marketing automation software, CRM and/or CMS)
- Ability to manage multiple projects at the same time in a fast-paced, startup environment
- A passion and strong understanding of the industry and our business' mission
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Experience in the Education and/or Technology/Software industry a plus
We value your own unique talents! If you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications outlined above, tell us why you’d be a great fit for this role.
Our values and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
Participate is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workforce. Our employees and our organization thrive when we do this right. We aim to create a workplace that celebrates the diversity of our employees, customers and users. We do this through building products that work for everyone by including perspectives from backgrounds that vary by race, ethnicity, social background, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status and national origin.
A foundational part of our work is to bring people together in community and conversation around things that matter so we can learn with and from each other. We continue to educate ourselves about our shared history so that we can better understand the systemic inequities we continue to face today and take action to create a more equitable workplace, organization and world.
Pay & Perks
Participate offers a collaborative, fun company culture as well as a full slate of benefits including competitive salary offerings, stock options, flexible vacation time, health insurance, parental leave, professional development stipends and adoption benefits. As a member of the sales team, you will receive additional bonuses based on performance.