Climate Finance Digital Campaigner
About Positive Money:
Positive Money was founded in the aftermath of the 2008 financial crash as a civil society response to the system failure of money and banking. We combine the activities of an international coalition, think tank, and grassroots activist organisation. Our vision is of a money and banking system that supports and contributes to a fair, democratic, and sustainable economy. We have offices in London and Brussels, and have been working on a transatlantic project called Climate Safe Lending since 2016. We are now setting up Positive Money US, and this campaigner will be our first member of staff.
About the role:
Climate change has hugely important implications for the financial system. Central banks around the world have recognized the threat that climate change poses, forming the Network for Greening the Financial System (NGFS) in 2017. For years, the Federal Reserve has been behind the ball on this conversation, despite its importance among global central banks. Following the election of Joe Biden last November, the Fed recognized climate change as a financial stability threat for the first time, joined the NGFS, and announced plans to integrate climate risk into its regulatory framework. This role will involve joining a coalition of civil society organisations working to plan interventions to accelerate progress towards a 1.5C aligned financial system, with a particular focus on the Federal Reserve. As well as being part of an active coalition, you will be supported by the UK office, and have supportive colleagues working on the same areas in the UK and EU .
You will be an experienced campaigner able to conceive, create, and implement effective digital strategies to win campaigns. You will have experience organising in-person actions and securing press coverage. You will be experienced developing messaging for campaigns on technical topics. More importantly you are a quick learner, and have a keen campaigning brain for seizing opportunities. You are happy to work autonomously and are confident in attending meetings alone.
- Develop campaign and media strategies, in partnership with other coalition members
- Identify organizing opportunities and moments to escalate campaigns and assist or lead rapid response actions, including mobilizing supporters to take action online and offline
- Set up a digital presence and campaigns infrastructure including Action Network (CRM platform hosting mailing list and action pages), Twitter and Facebook, and work with a web developer on a new Positive Money US website, hosted on Wordpress
- Increase the number of active supporters by running campaigns and engaging new audiences via a social media and a digital advertising strategy
- Track and analyze digital metrics to measure success and identify key lessons from campaigns, digital advertising and projects
- Work with partners in our wider coalition on advocacy emails to key influencers.
- Represent Positive Money US with influential stakeholders e.g. funders / policy-makers / journalists, and develop relationships with them
- Take a proactive role in facilitating coalition work amongst our key partners in the US
You will be supported by the experienced teams in our offices in London and Brussels, in particular by the Head of Campaigns and Organising at Positive Money UK.
Essential Skills & Experience
- Three to five years professional experience in field or online organizing, political campaigns and/or public relations and marketing
- Proven ability to increase supporter base through online strategies
- Excellent writer: able to write concisely, clearly and quickly to mobilise people to take action and communicate complexity in clear and accessible ways
- Good eye for graphic design (extensive graphic design experience is not required)
- Digital campaigning experience; experience using Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and ongoing interest in other popular digital platforms
- Effective team player with the ability to work and think independently, and to work as part of an effective coalition
- Strong organizational skills, demonstrated initiative, flexibility and creativity
- A self-starter, with experience of building relationships quickly, not being afraid to ask questions and making contacts in a new field through your own initiative
- A proven passion for progressive politics and social justice
Desirable Experience and Skills
- Ability to continuously develop one's own knowledge and skills, including knowledge about effective campaigning and influencing, and how to bring about change in the economic system.
- Familiarity with press releases, press office work or working with journalists
- Experience of engaging with Congress, political figures, or regulatory bodies, either directly or through campaigns work
- An interest in climate finance and central banking
Values and behaviours
- A self-starter with an entrepreneurial mindset, and willing to learn new skills
- Desire to work on climate finance and the Federal Reserve
- Be committed to our vision for a fair, democratic, and sustainable money system
- Enjoy working with a high level of autonomy, trust, and open-mindedness
- Be committed to working in an innovative and collaborative way
- High degree of maturity and able to respond positively in pressured situations
- Ability to work well alone or within a team, as required, and be self-motivated
- Ability to multi-task and manage interruptions
- Ability to work in time-pressured situations and to meet deadlines
- Be self-reflective with a high degree of empathy and self-awareness