Nonprofit startup seeks an Administrative Manager responsible for bookkeeping, scheduling, research, vendor management, basic HR management, etc. to keep the organization running smoothly so that our employees and volunteers can focus on saving our democracy.
Saving democracy? Seriously?
Reasonable question. We’ll get to that. The ideal candidate is someone who is used to handling the whole “back office” function for a small organization or business. We are in the early days and are looking for smart, passionate people to join our growing, ambitious team.
Let’s get back to the saving democracy part.
Well, we are on the way to proving that the vast majority of Americans (over 90%) share MANY of the same goals for the country. If that sounds crazy, then let me give you an example: we demonize each other over gun control legislation, but gun control isn’t the goal, it’s a tactic. Reducing violence is the goal, and most all of us want that. We don’t realize that for most political issues we’re just arguing about tactics.
Our first step in bringing Americans together over common goals is to deploy a broad-ranging survey. We are developing tech to pair Americans from different backgrounds to take the survey together, via video conference. We call it “The Unify Challenge.” As we scale the Unify Challenge, we hope to bring thousands of volunteers into the Unify America effort, and our team will need to grow to harness the power of those volunteers to drive the Unify America mission forward. As we grow, we need someone to keep the administration of our growing organization running smoothly. That’s where you come in!
Tell me more. What’s the job?
OK, let’s admit upfront that we don’t currently have an office and our plan is to keep our entire workforce remote until COVID-19 is no longer a threat. We need that Swiss Army Knife of administrative and organizational skills to keep the internal organization running smoothly for our employees, and to provide excellent service to our volunteers, partners, and everyone else who comes in contact with Unify America. Specifically, we’re looking for someone to manage a wide variety of tasks, including:
- Bookkeeping (QuickBooks)
- Managing vendors, bills, payments, and financial reporting
- Scheduling meetings & appointments
- Managing & maintaining our online file system (currently Google Drive)
- Correspondence & coordination with participants and volunteers (working closely with our Founder, COO, and Community Organizer)
- Onboarding new hires
- Managing PEO, Benefits, Insurance Claims
- Finding & vetting vendors, contractors, and other resources (working closely with our Project Manager)
- Copy editing - being that second set of eyes
- Quality assurance (bug testing and tracking)
- Research (helping our founder find data and stories to fuel our thought leadership efforts)
- Market research (designing, conducting, and analyzing tests on the UserTesting platform that will help us tailor our messaging and programming to our audience)
- Helping manage the admin side of our recruiting processes
- Anything else that comes up that you can do or figure out that needs to get done (we’re a startup team, all hands on deck!)
Are there specific qualifications?
Yes. You need to be someone who:
- has done bookkeeping for a small organization before - ideally in Quickbooks. You don’t need to have a degree in accounting or finance, but you do need to know basic bookkeeping practices and be diligent and detail-oriented when it comes to making sure that everything is entered correctly. And you should have had some experience working with an accountant to file taxes. If you’ve done bookkeeping for a nonprofit, that’s a bonus.
- has done budgeting and knows how to rock a spreadsheet.
- enjoys organizing files, schedules, office systems - all the things. You really have to love organizing. We don’t have a physical office to keep neat and tidy currently, but we’re looking for the kind of person who likes to have a place for everything and everything in its place. That applies to all the online files, schedules, and resources used by our currently 100% remote organization. And that office? As we grow and it becomes safe to congregate, we probably will need one, so experience finding and setting up an office space for a small team would be great - and might need to be put to work in 2021 or 2022.
- can take initiative. You’re going to need to make stuff happen without a lot of management. Collaboration, yes! Managerial oversight, not so much. No time for that. You need to be comfortable working toward goals independently, asking for help when you need it, and keeping others updated on what you’re getting done.
- is good at, and happy to learn, new technology. You may not be familiar with our CRM (Zoho) - but you’ll need to become besties with it and the other software we’re using. So you need to be a quick study. In addition to Quickbooks, we’re also looking for someone comfortable using the G-suite (Google Docs/Drive/etc.) and Slack - and willing to learn any new tech resources we add to the organization.
- has an eye for design. We’ll provide you all the brand guidelines and some templates but we’re looking for someone that can make concise, compelling, and visually captivating presentations and reports.
- is diligent about follow-through. Like, really diligent. It’s important that we don’t let tasks fall on the floor and get forgotten.
- can set and keep your own deadlines, because we’ll be looking to you to tell us what you can accomplish when, and we need people who do what they say they’re going to do. That said, sometimes you’ll be given deadlines, in which case, you’ll need to be good at juggling, in the context of multiple priorities.
- welcomes feedback. The way we work at Unify America requires that we all be comfortable receiving direct feedback gracefully and using it to get better.
- is relentless and innovative about solving problems. We’re looking for someone who is positive and can figure out how to get to YES.
- is a great communicator. You’ll be communicating all kinds of things to all kinds of people, so the ability to communicate in writing, on the phone, and on Zoom clearly and concisely is important; as is writing and speaking in the kind of inclusive, welcoming, intelligent voice that we want to be the hallmark of interacting with Unify America.
- is capable of, and willing to commit to embracing radical non-partisanship. Warmly welcoming all volunteers (including people who campaigned hard for Hillary Clinton and people who campaigned hard for Donald Trump; people who are committed atheists and deeply religious; people who will say things that can be interpreted as racist, sexist, anti-semitic, homophobic, etc. and people who self-righteously shame anyone who says anything that isn’t adequately “woke”) is central to our mission. You will interact with our employees, our volunteers, our vendors - pretty much everyone in the Unify America universe - and you need to be deeply committed to being respectful of people with whom you may disagree on important topics.
I’m interested. How do I apply?
Great! Write us a cover letter that includes three reasons why you’d be great for the job. Be yourself. Send that letter along with your resume to email@example.com.