Senior Backend Engineer - Data Science Notebooks Platform (Remote Eligible - Americas)
The Insights Platform teams within Data and Insights enable the consumption of Insights by helping anyone at Spotify answer their questions using data. Inside Insights Platform, the Data Science Notebooks team is responsible for providing a stable Jupyter notebook platform for data scientists and analysts. The team is also responsible for BigQuery, our data warehouse. Join us and help to amplify productivity, quality and innovation across Spotify
What you'll do:
- Build out the Jupyter notebooks platform at Spotify to serve Data Science and ML use cases
- Coordinate technical projects across teams within Spotify
- Be a technical leader within the team you work with and within Spotify in general
- Be a valued member of an autonomous, multi-functional agile team
- Build, automate, maintain, scale, and monitor user-facing systems using standard methodologies, with reliability and scalability in mind
- Work with the other specialists to debug and fix issues
- Implement high-quality release engineering practices to facilitate rapid development, safe changes, and engineer productivity
- Maintain system architecture documentation and runbooks
- Collaborate with other specialists, product managers, and designers to identify and solve exciting problems, crafting an awesome engineering experience within Spotify
- You’ll initiate, influence and drive technical projects across teams within Spotify
- You’ll use industry standard, cloud native tech, which means easily transferable skills and a focus on your professional development
- Hack on what you want during regular hack days and bi-annual hack weeks
- Work from our awesome office in New York City where we tackle problems in Data, Monetization, Music Recommendations, Features for Artists, and Social Networking
Who you are:
- You know how to use Docker and Python extensively
- You know how to write distributed, well designed services in Java
- You’ve used Jupyter notebooks and are familiar with the Jupyter open source ecosystem
- You have experience with ML models in production
- You know how to work with large scale data systems
- You will be able to apply your knowledge of the Java runtime environment to help us improve our backend service and data landscape
- You are experienced with deploying and operating services on Linux
- You have a deep understanding of system design, data structures, and algorithms
- You care about quality and you know what it means to ship high quality code
- Google Cloud Platform experience is a bonus
- As a great influencer with great communication skills, you love sharing your knowledge with others and helping them grow
Where you'll be:
- We are a distributed workforce enabling our band members to find a work mode that is best for them!
- Where in the world? For this role, it can be within the region in which we have a work location and is within working hours.
- Working hours? We operate within the Eastern Standard time zone for collaboration and ask that all be located that time zone.
- Prefer an office to work from home instead? Not a problem! We have plenty of options for your working preferences. Find more information about our Work From Anywhere options .
Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the chance to enjoy and be passionate about these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the world’s most popular audio streaming subscription service with a community of more than 345 million users.