At the Only One Collective, our purpose is to turn the tide on ocean conservation by connecting people to urgent environmental issues and the communities affected by them, while identifying clear steps that will drive significant change. We do this through our two sister organizations:and the . We focus on amplifying stories and campaigns that sit at the intersection of ocean health and social justice. We want to redistribute power by making the space we have available to a diverse group of storytellers and activists, prioritizing those whose experiences and narratives are marginalized and whose campaigns could use broad grassroots support to achieve meaningful impact.
The Only One Collective was first established in 2019, and today the organization has twenty full-time employees, across product, design, content, engagement. By partnering with other changemakers in the space, we aim to support innovative solutions that strengthen marine ecosystems and the communities that depend on them most.
The Only One Collective has a sizable existing community, including 10M followers across social media channels, an email list of ~300K, and The Tide, a growing community of ~4K monthly donors committed to supporting ocean solutions.
About the Editor:
Only One is looking for an Editor to join our team as we work to combine our impactful work in storytelling with sophisticated digital advocacy work to fuel the movement for people and the planet. This position will focus specifically on the powerful work ofThe Editor will...
- Help develop video content for distribution on our owned digital channels and support a range of post-production processes and tasks.
- Work closely with the Production Team to coordinate support for projects you are leading while providing support for projects others are leading.
- Oversee all aspects of creative editing, from conceptualization to final polishing within a designated time frame.
- Identify the best content by scrubbing through RAW footage, and organize it for review by the Director.
- Lead onboarding new team members and training junior staff in our workflows and best practices.
The Editor is a critical part of the organization’s mission to educate, engage, and activate diverse communities around ocean conservation. They are an exceptional creator, with a deep knowledge of storytelling. They are someone who has experience working with storytellers across genres. They understand the cadence of editorial production and have the diplomacy needed to work seamlessly and harmoniously with creative people and grassroots organizers globally. Problem-solving is a core strength. They are preferably someone who has experience in MAC and video-editing software, including Adobe Premiere, with a demonstrated familiarity of industry standards and all aspects of crafting story, images and sound to achieve the desired messaging, branding and emotional impact. A passion for climate and environmental justice and the oceans is important, even if their professional experience has not been in that space.
The Editor is...
- Adept at finding organizational and operational efficiencies to further Only One’s mission and vision.
- An expert problem solver with strong skills in time management, and process improvement.
- Committed to creating content for diverse audiences, and working in multicultural environments.
- Committed to placing issues of environmental and climate justice at the forefront of ocean conservation efforts.
- Nimble enough to help Only One hit its content cadence goals.
- Committed to bring your whole self or your personality to work. We value humility, kindness and humor among other qualities.
- A thoughtful collaborator, and learn from the people around you.
- Skilled at music editing, SFX, and audio balancing.
This is a full-time position based in Qualicum Beach, BC, Canada.