Manager, Accounting and Grants
is a global leader helping to tackle the world’s most intractable environmental and social challenges. As a mission-driven non-profit organization, Verra is committed to helping reduce greenhouse gas emissions, improve livelihoods and protect natural resources across the private and public sectors. We support climate action and sustainable development with standards, tools, and programs that credibly, transparently, and robustly assess environmental and social impacts and enable funding for sustaining and scaling up projects that verifiably deliver these benefits. We work in any arena where we see a need for clear standards, a role for market-based mechanisms, and an opportunity to generate significant environmental and social value.
Verra manages a portfolio of standards, including the:
- -- the world’s leading carbon crediting program, with more than 1600 registered projects in 80 countries, and accounting for two-thirds of all voluntary carbon market transaction volume.
- -- a flexible framework for assessing and reporting on the sustainable development benefits of project-based activities.
- -- to identify projects that simultaneously address climate change, support local communities and smallholders, and conserve biodiversity.
- -- to enable robust impact assessment of new or scaled-up waste recovery and recycling projects around the globe.
Verra is looking for an Accounting and Grants Manager to join the growing Operations team. The ideal candidate will be self-motivated and experienced in accounts payable, payroll processing, grants management supporting a busy organization. The successful candidate should possess effective communication skills, strong attention to detail, and an ability to work in a self-directed manner.
A day with Verra’s collaborative Operations Team might include…
- Prepare payroll journals for month-end close.
- Collaborating closely with the Director of Finance and Finance Specialist to support the financial needs of the organization.
- Processing vouchers for payment and recording banking activity in the financial software
- Processing bi-monthly payroll through Paychex
- Working closely with the program teams to provide financial oversight at each stage of the grant life cycle
- Preparing quarterly or annual financial reports for grant donors
- Reviewing quarterly sub-grantees reports and process for payment
Specific functions you will be responsible for leading...
- Managing the full cycle of accounts payable, payroll, bank reconciliations, and expense reimbursements
- Reconciling balance sheet accounts
- Preparing interim and final financial reports to donors, including coordinating data collection from subgrantees. Coordinate the financial aspects of the subgrants and subcontracts.
- Serving as a technical resource to project teams in interpreting donor rules and regulations and acting as the primary point of contact for grant-contractual issues.
- Ensuring subgrantee compliance with the terms of grant agreements, including by reviewing subgrantee financial reports and liaising with subgrantees to rectify reporting errors and by managing subgrantee and grant subcontractor deliverables and payments
- Providing audit support for annual audit and leading grant-specific audits
You bring with you...
- Solid communication skills, both written and verbal, with professional proficiency in English
- A track record of developing and maintaining strong working relationships with a diverse group of stakeholders, and excellent customer service skills
- At least 5 years experience processing payroll through an automated system like Paychex and handling confidential and sensitive information
- A Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, business, or related field
- At least 5 years experience in all aspects of grant management
- At least 5 years of financial accounting experience
- Strong time management, attention to detail, accuracy, analytical and interpersonal skills
- Advanced Excel skills
- Experience with Unanet or similar accounting software
In this role, you will grow and expand your expertise by...
- Mastering Verra’s financial procedures (e.g. grants management, accounts payable, payroll, and budgeting)
- Preparing reports for the Director of Finance
- Assisting with the annual audit and managing grant-specific audits
You will know you are successful, if...
- Payroll processing is error-free
- Invoices are paid on time
- Donor reports are completed and filed on time
- You provide excellent customer service to internal and external stakeholders
- You work seamlessly with other Verra teams to deliver high-quality work products
- You are able to take on additional finance tasks over time
You will join a team...
- From diverse locations and backgrounds, including carbon market experts, project developers, consultants, climate negotiators, researchers, auditors, and more.
- Committed to driving finance at scale to projects and programs that advance climate action and sustainable development through high-quality standards and programs.
- That embodies the values Verra has established for itself, and which include .