Social Media & Marketing Consultant
At Drive Change our mission is to equip young people with the tools to succeed in the food service industry and become leaders in their community.
Drive Change envisions a world where young people have access to employment opportunities of their dreams, and the skills, community and confidence to excel once they obtain them.
- Workplaces are tools for learning.
- Hospitality IS social (and restorative) justice.
- Everyone is a genius.
- Access to power is everyone’s right.
- Unapologetic re-imagination is our goal.
Who We Are:
Drive Change was founded in 2014 as a way to provide culinary training to young people affected by the American Legal system. We are committed to investing in the DC Fellows’ personal and professional development and committed to having conversations centered around race, power, and food justice in order to give fellows the information that will allow them to make the best choices for themselves.
The food and hospitality industry has sustained itself on structures that exploit its most marginalized members. DC’s Hospitality for Social Justice program is creating a community of food business partners that are committed to eliminating the injustices within the food and hospitality industry. We believe that centering the experience of intersectional-ly marginalized individuals will in turn lift up all workers and lay the groundwork towards justice.
To learn more, visit
What You’ll Do:
The Social Media & Marketing Consultant supports the mission of Drive Change by strategically creating and sharing content across platforms that captures the mission and vision of Drive Change’s programming. This role will use photography, short-form videography, and writing to effectively create strategies and campaigns across channels. We are looking for a relationship builder and channel manager who is eager to put their creative and strategic knowledge to use in engaging and growing online audiences through holistic story-telling. A strong writing and editing background, and an understanding of online community building, are essential. You will be integral in developing the voice of the organization.
The Social Media & Marketing Consultant will create strategies for Drive Change’s two core programs, in addition to ongoing fundraising efforts.
Fellowship Program: The Fellowship program is currently on pause. As the structure of this programming evolves, the consultant will be included in conversations to incorporate social media and marketing strategies for its audience.
Hospitality for Social Justice: HSJ is an ongoing program that will require promotion of registration materials, increasing our target audience, story-telling from current and former participants, and insight into the programming’s curriculum & structure.
Your primary responsibilities will be to:
- Develop and execute Drive Change’s social media strategy based on goals and best practices
- Create and share written and multimedia daily social content to engage partners and key audiences online
- Increase awareness of Drive Change towards targeted audiences
- Develop messaging for Drive Change’s programming that centers story-telling
- Engage targeted audiences for transparent fundraising efforts
- Create regular newsletters and specific programming updates, to be sent via MailChimp
- Work closely with Senior Director of Fellowship Training, Director of Culinary Development and Education and HSJ Manager to solidify brand voice
- Use tools to track projects and measure results in order to provide feedback and recommendations
- Adhere to confidentiality rules and all other Drive Change policies, procedures and rules
- Performs all duties in a manner that promotes Drive Change’s mission and core values
- Fluent in social media, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube
- Excellent written, proofreading, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong visual eye and knowledge of photography best practices and technical specs
- Familiar with tools such as Hootsuite, Wrike, Drupal, Adobe Suite, Facebook Ads Manager, and Google AdWords
- Experience with Adobe / Graphic Design skills and portfolio
- Narrative building understanding
- Ability to work effectively both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- Ability to be flexible amid changing priorities or deadlines
- 3-5 years of experience in communications, marketing, design, public relations or a related field
- Experience managing social media channels on behalf of an organization
- Demonstrated photography and graphic design skills, in professional setting or for personal use
Expected Salary and Hours:
The expected salary is $30-$35/hr for 15-20 hours a week, for a 6-month contract with potential for extension.
Requirements to Apply:
To apply to the Social Media & Marketing role, please submit the following to:
- Cover letter
- Website, social media & any other portfolio materials