Development and Communications Associate
About DMF Youth
DMF Youth is a non-profit organization that provides free afterschool and summer camp programs to underserved students in Manhattan, Brooklyn, and the Bronx. Our programs blend dance education with life-skill development activities (think mindfulness, affirmations, leadership, teamwork) to provide students with the holistic support they need to live happy, healthy, lives. Through partnerships with Title 1 schools and homeless shelters, the programs we run provide necessary arts enrichment and education services, and ultimately work towards a more equitable education system.
The Development and Communications Associate is a key member of a small but mighty team at DMF Youth. Working closely with the Executive Director, the Development Associate supports fundraising efforts through grants and campaigns, maintains accurate database records, and provides administrative support.
The ideal candidate is a creative-thinker with strong writing and communication skills. They will be responsible for stewarding grants through the application process; which involves prospecting and research, grant writing, and gathering the appropriate application materials for submission. The Development and Communications Associate also plays a vital role in managing donor relations and implementing fundraising campaigns by creating mass email appeals, social media posts, and graphics to accompany digital communications.
Grant Writing and Donor Management
- Identify grant opportunities to apply for; compile research grantmakers
- Support the writing of proposals for all foundation, government, and corporate grants
- Track deadlines for grant submissions and reports; and keep the team on track to meet those deadlines
- Create and execute strategies for growing our individual donor base and building relationships with donors
- Draft donor acknowledgements and other donor communications
- Stay on top of fundraising trends and bring new ideas and best practices to the organization
- Write and design emails using Constant Contact to be sent out to our donor base; includes monthly newsletters, donation appeals, event announcements and more
- Manage online/social media presence (mostly Instagram and Facebook) by creating and scheduling posts
- Design graphics for digital communications on Canva
- Administer website updates as needed on Wordpress
- Write blog posts
- Prepare materials and reports for board meetings
- Maintain meticulous donor records through Salesforce management; lead our ongoing integration of Salesforce
- Assist on other related projects, as assigned
- Keep all organizational records including program statistics, digital archives, donor relationship records, and more organized in Google Drive and Salesforce
Desired Skills and Qualifications
- Excellent writing, research, and communication skills
- At least one year of professional experience in a relevant position, preferably at a non-profit or cultural institution
- Ability to take initiative and work independently, as well as collaborate with staff, board, and external partners
- Systems-oriented and detail-oriented with excellent organizational skills
- Proficiency in Salesforce is a plus; interest in learning the platform is necessary
- Eagerness to contribute new ideas that will help DMF Youth grow
- Working knowledge of philanthropic and nonprofit arts community is preferred but not necessary
- Commitment to DMF Youth’s mission of building a more equitable education system and making the arts more accessible in disadvantaged communities
This is a 15-20 hour-per-week part-time position. The starting salary is $25/hr. This job will be remote indefinitely.
DMF Youth is an equal opportunity employer. Individuals who are historically underrepresented in the arts sector are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, national origin, medical history, military status, or any other characteristic protected by law.