Senior Software Engineer, Full Stack (100% Remote, U.S. Based Only)
We’re looking for U.S. based generalists (fully remote) who can dive in wherever needed, including frontend, backend, and some light data work. At our current stage, we’re light on process, so you should enjoy working with a high-level of autonomy and decision-making authority. You can more about Hello World's Unique Engineering Culture.
• Write code across our stack, including our mobile React Native clients and Rails backend
• Ensure that our app works globally, including constrained environments such as low power devices or spotty connectivity
• Tackle challenging design and product problems
• Collaborate with our CTO to architect and evolve a solution that scales. Our tech stack uses Typescript + React Native on the frontend with a light Rails + GraphQL backend running on App Engine. We're still early and nothing is set in stone, so there's lots of room to craft and improve our stack.
• Provide thoughtful feedback to others on the team
• Help create a world-class engineering team and culture that is diverse from day one
Some examples of the problems we need your help to solve
• How do we showcase the talents of teens around the world in a simple “portfolio” to maximize their chances of finding opportunities?
• How can we ensure that uploading videos in our app is as reliable as uploads to YouTube in areas with metered data and poor connectivity?
• How can we rapidly build tools to allow scholarships and other opportunities to quickly identify promising teens on our platform?
Your Perks & Culture
• Work on a product with impact, with a high level of autonomy, and solving problems for a global audience
• Work on a team with a transparent pay structure with equal pay for equal roles (no bias, no behind-the-scenes negotiations)
• Receive medical, dental, and vision + life insurance
• Unlimited vacation and generous sick day policies
• Remote-first organization
The salary for this role is $135,000
At Hello World we celebrate and support our differences. We know employing a team rich in diverse thoughts, experiences, and opinions allows our employees, our product, and our community to flourish. Hello World is an equal opportunity workplace. We are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national orientation, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status.
Your Skills & Superpowers
• Experience building mobile experiences (eg. React Native/Flutter/Native)
• Passion for validating new features by putting them in front of real users early and often
• Some experience across both backend and frontend or a desire to learn
• Ability to operate with a lot of autonomy, pragmatism, and a sense of craftsmanship
• U.S. based and direct applicants will be considered (no recruiters please)