Business Development Manager
How would you like to extend your influence far beyond your dreams and “make a dent in the universe” with your efforts? BootUp is seeking a Business Development Manager to join their team to recruit and educate new school district prospects and funding sources about BootUp’s industry-leading, innovative professional development services, and curricula. The objective is to generate revenue to sustain BootUp’s mission of bringing computer science, coding, as well as computational thinking to ALL elementary students by empowering teachers.
The Business Development Manager will report to the Executive Director and be the first full-time business development professional at BootUp. They will be responsible for driving revenue growth throughout the country (and perhaps the world) as part of a rapidly-evolving and exciting industry. The successful candidate must be an energetic representative who can work in a dynamic and socially entrepreneurial environment.
Successful applicants will have:
- Integrity and professionalism above and beyond the norm
- Strong business development and/or account management experience
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving talents, including the capacity to coordinate details, multi-task and generate creative solutions
- A proven track record of working and closing opportunities with new business prospects
- Superior writing, persuasion and presentation skills
- Strong collaboration and interpersonal abilities
- A willingness to learn and the flexibility for change
- Preferably a deep background in K-12 public education markets
- The ability to establish rapport quickly and easily to explain the value of BootUp’s offerings to a variety of school district decision makers, state-level policy makers and funding sources
- The ability to bring new ideas and work collaboratively with BootUp’s Marketing Manager and Executive Director
- An engaging personality to build a vision and create excitement with prospective school district partners and funding sources
- Resourcefulness and a can-do approach
- A strong work ethic, positive attitude, and the ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Develop, refine, and execute the BootUp business development strategy over time – including making calls, reaching out via direct e-mail, website, affinity-based and state, federal or private funding sources
- Execute campaigns, including custom e-mail communication and calls to school district leaders and funding sources
- Maintain an inventory of business development support materials, ensuring all resources are current and accurate, and coordinate the creation of new materials, as needed, with BootUp’s Marketing Manager
- Continually seek and research new sources of prospective school district partner and funding source data
- Attend state and national conferences, and present on BootUp’s work when needed, in furtherance of the business development strategy
- Work closely with team members to match school districts with funding opportunities, where possible and appropriate
- Create and update a Priority States document to target states for new business development/fundraising opportunities and to guide other BootUp initiatives
- Work closely with Marketing Manager to align business development strategies across marketing channels, website, email and related campaigns
- Leverage business development and marketing tools to follow-up and generate interest within prospective partner school districts and funding sources
- Host remote demos, webinars, and one-on-one meetings with prospective school district partners and funding sources
Relocation is not necessary.
Please send a cover letter and resume to Clark Merkley, Executive Director of BootUp Professional Development, atfor consideration.
About BootUp Professional Development
We prepare and empower teachers and implement elementary coding and computer science programs nationwide in order to reach ALL students, creating equitable access to 21st-century skills. This mission statement provides an overall scope or purpose for doing what we do. Every school district we work with, every project we work on, or every person we collaborate with in some way helps us achieve our mission. If we achieve our mission, our vision of “[e]nsuring ALL elementary students learn to code by empowering teachers” will happen.
BootUp PD is a nonprofit and an IRS Section 501(c)(3) organization that has worked on elementary computer science implementations in over 50 school districts, supporting over 1,500 teachers and reaching over 150,000 elementary students around the country. In addition, our free coding curriculum and resources are being used on every continent except Antarctica! We will impact thousands of elementary teachers of coding and hundreds of thousands of elementary students in the coming years and by joining our team, you will be able to assist with expanding our impact and continuing to improve upon what we offer.
We strongly value and prioritize being honest and having strong principles for doing what we do. Integrity is consistently one of the first values we want to be known for as an organization and as individuals.
BootUp's successes over the years are a result of our ability to collaborate on a team with diverse backgrounds, expertise, opinions, perspectives and experiences.
We are constantly striving for innovative and creative solutions that assist with our overall mission and vision. This includes everything from our approach to professional learning to highly engaging interest-driven, project-based curricula.
Part of our success is because our approach is not only based on educational research, but from extensive feedback from a variety of sources. We actively seek out feedback that continues to refine what we do.
Flexible and Relevant
We believe that computer science education is not only growing at a rapid pace, but is iteratively changing over time. We try to stay flexible and relevant by keeping up-to-date on the latest research and practices in computer science education.
Inclusive and Welcoming Culture
All of us at BootUp genuinely enjoy not only the work that we do, but who we work with. We come from varied backgrounds and cultures that are shared and embraced among the team.
Engaging and fun!
Not only do we try and make the professional development and curriculum engaging and fun, but our work environment and collaborations, as well.
Simple and Iterative
We don't like to make things overly complicated. By keeping things simple, we are able to focus on fine-tuning our approach over time in order to continuously improve what we do. This iterative process is similar to the Japanese concept of "kaizen ( 改善)," which encourages team members to think through and share opportunities for improvement. If you can do something better with even fewer steps, you have captured the essence of this simple approach.
BootUp PD, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We know diversity makes us stronger and we are committed to maintaining an inclusive and welcoming environment for all our applicants and employees. BootUp PD does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, age, veteran or military status, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, or disability. BootUp PD is an E-Verify Participant.